With Mr Bray
Welcome to Milligan’s website page showing what we have been up to this half term.
We have had a brilliant start to the new school year. The pupils have settled in comfortably with their classmates and it has been wonderful seeing a mature attitude that they aspiring too in Key Stage 2. They have been working hard and made some wonderful pieces of work.
We are practicing Swing Low Sweet Chariot for international evening.
Important class information:
- P.E. Lessons will be on Monday afternoon Wednesday morning. It would be appreciated if children could wear their PE kits – White t-shirt, black or navy shorts – to school on a Wednesday (please bring in school uniform to change into after) and they will wear their PE kits home on a Thursday.
- Learning logs: Learning logs will be collected on a Thursday morning and returned the next day. Please encourage and support your child to complete an activity of their choice related to our current learning.
Topic: Should we stop eating chocolate?
- We will be looking at the history of chocolate dating back to the Mayans and Aztecs, where cacao trees grow, fairtrade and whether chocolate is a healthy source of energy. We will also be learning about the life of famous chocolatier John Cadbury.
- We are reading Charlie and the chocolate factory by Roald Dahl. This classic children’s story will inspire us to write a diary entry, a comparative description of two characters and a newspaper report. We will also be using our imaginations and creative writing skills to write our very own chapters.
- We will also be reading a variety of different styles of poetry and writing our own.
In maths we will be expanding our knowledge on place value, comparing and ordering numbers, addition, subtraction and rounding numbers. We are also looking at 2D and 3D shapes and their properties.
All pupils have access to MyMaths. Their personal log in details will be sent home via letter. Please encourage your child to access the website and complete the set homework as this will consolidate their learning in school.
Times tables are a big thing at St. George’s! Times Tables Tiger badges are rewarded to children who can use quick recall for multiplication. Please work with them to practice as the children love to display their badges with pride. Once they have earned all badges for times tables 2-12 they can go for gold!
Our science focus this half term will be The changing states of matter. We will be looking at solids, liquids and gas and discovering how and why they can change with differing temperatures.
We will also be learning how to fuel our bodies with healthy and nutritious food by understanding the nutritious values of simple and complex carbohydrates.
This half term we are focusing on the Miracles of Jesus and what we can learn from them. We will be learning about the feeding of the 5,000, Jesus walking on water, turning water into wine. We will be answering questions such as ‘What is a miracle?’ and ‘What is the difference between miracles and magic?’
In PE we will be learning to play team sports. In Hockey, Basketball and Football we will be learning how to dribble, pass and shoot a ball. We will also look at good sportsmanship and teamwork.
A level zero approach is encouraged where children aim to improve on their own skills rather than compare to someone else in the class.
We will look at the climates needed for Cacao trees to grow in (Tropical) and where rainforests are located around the world.
We will look at African patterns, and representing pictures of the rainforest in different mediums from colouring pencils to pastels and sketching.