Year 2 Spring Term
We have been learning about the Great Fire of London. On Wednesday 8th February we went to the “FIRE! FIRE!” exhibit at the Museum of London.
It was fun and interactive.
Here are some photos of our day.
We tried putting the fire out! We used fire hooks, water squirters and buckets of water.
We re-built the town of London after the fire in 1666. Can you see St. Paul’s Cathedral?
In Literacy we have been looking closely at contractions. We played a matching game.
We also played an online game: http://www.learninggamesforkids.com/vocabulary_games/contractions.html
SINGING AND MUSIC LESSONS
We enjoy singing and music lessons every week with Mr Fisher.
This week we used instruments musically and experimented with creating and combining sounds.
LONDON TRANSPORT MUSEUM
On Monday 16th January we went to the London Transport Museum.
We saw vehicles from the past, the present and the future.
We enjoyed the hands-on activities and following a trail around the Museum to find different stampers.
Here are some photos of our trip
RE – The Lord’s Prayer
In RE this half-term we are exploring The Lord’s Prayer and the meaning of each part.
We created pictures of Our Father in Heaven. We imagined what heaven might look like.
SPRING TERM CURRICULUM
Edison theme: What is the best way for Mrs Armitage to travel?
Subject focus: Science and Technology
Focus core skill: Improving own learning and performance
- Character profile of Mrs Armitage
- Reading Mrs Armitage stories
- Write a different ending to Mrs Armitage’s story
- Prepare questions prior to a visit
- Retell story with a different ending
- Write own versions of well known stories
Texts will be chosen from the Power of Reading list
- Data handling- traffic survey
- Data handling- Science investigation
- Sorting numerical problems
- give and follow directions
- Identify and name a variety or everyday materials, including wood, plastic, glass, metal and rock.
- Describe simple physical properties of everyday materials
- Investigating materials
- Which materials make the best wheels?
- Which materials are waterproof?
- Testing our vehicles
- Top Trumps
- Henry Ford
- Changing designs of cars over time
- Traffic in the local area
- Compass and directional language
- Devise a simple map
- Observational drawings
- Illustrations of vehicles
- The work of Quentin Blake
- Bike wheel weaving
- Design a vehicle
- Design a poster
- Design something to keep Mrs Armitage dry
- Kadinsky- circles
- Investigating toy vehicles
- Tool skills
- Making a prototype chassis
- Design and make a vehicle
- Evaluate the finished product
- The Lord’s Prayer
- Weekly Singing sessions with Mr Fisher
- To understand that rules and ways of keeping safe, including basic road safety
- People who can help us stay safe