Year 5 Learning Log
This half term we are learning about ‘Mysterious Materials’, in particular we will be investigating into their properties and different uses.
Our learning objectives for this half term are below, but as always, please feel free to research and share any other information you are interested in!
- Can you find out more about everyday materials? Find out as much as you can about their properties! (Hardness, solubility, transparency, conductivity (electrical and thermal), and response to magnets)
- What is meant by dissolving? Can you carry out an experiment to dissolved something and describe what happened?
- Research solids, liquids and gases. What can you find out about them? How can you separate solids, liquids and gases? Think about filtering, sieving and evaporating.
- What is a reversible or irreversible change? Can you carry out an experiment for each? Are dissolving, mixing and changes of state reversible or irreversible? Can you find out about any irreversible changes?
- Can you look at the sculptor Antony Gormley?
- Try and replicate his work with pictures or make a sculpture!
- What are the equivalent fractions?
- Can you add like and unlike fractions?
- Can you subtract like and unlike fractions?
- Can you multiply like and unlike fractions?
- What can you find out about Prime and Composite Numbers?
- What can you find out about King Henry and the Church of England?
- Who were Henry’s wives, daughters and sons?
- Can you research different styles of poetry?
- Can you find the beatitudes of Christianity?
- How do Christians follow the beatitudes?
- Can you write a Christmas song?
- Can you draw your own representation of Christmas through artwork?
- Can you find out about the first ever Christmas card?
- Can you create your own Christmas Card?